Thursday, April 17, 2014

The World is Listening...


Vamos para o Brasil!

It's almost June and I'm studying my Portuguese.  Not because I'm vacationing there (at least not yet) but because the 2014 FIFA World Cup is coming!    Now besides the fact that I absolutely LOVE football/futbol, I can't think of another event other than the Summer Olympic Games that unites the world.  Interest in soccer is rising in the USA but globally, football as it is reigns supreme!  That couldn't have been more evident on my recent travels to England, France, and Spain.  Whether it was riding the tube and hearing a passionate debate on the state of a certain Premier League club, seeing fans decked out in Paris Saint-Germain kits (jerseys) or driving by RCD Espanyol's stadium, it is evident that football isn't just a sport.  Football is a way of life around the world...and I'm all about that life!

Now back to the title of this post.  Every year there is a soundtrack for the World Cup with one single song representing the event.  Whether it's "Wavin' Flag" (my favorite) or last year's infectious hit "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa / Eso Es Africa)" by Shakira and Freshlyground, these songs represent the vibe of the host city.  I was really excited to see (or rather hear) this year's song and when I heard it, well let's just say I was really disappointed.

The song is "We are One" by Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull.  Now, I actually like J-Lo's music and consider myself a fan (been riding since her On the 6 days). So I'm not a hater in the least!  I even like some of the collaborations by this pair ("On the Floor" and "Dance Again") but this one is just lame.  It sounds like just another generic pop song to be honest and in my opinion (as this whole post is) wastes the opportunity to incorporate Brazil's rich culture.  We are talking about Brasil, one of the most diverse and uniquely blended nations on Earth.  Where is the  cavaquinho or samba feel?  I'm not an expert of Brasilian music and I know there's more to the sound than what I listed but what?!  "Waka Waka" by Shakira really gave me culture.  Plus it would've been cool to see a collaboration with a Brasilian artist/musician.  Here are some artists I would've loved to have heard (with some of my favorite tracks):

Santana (This band brings the soul and the energy):

Kat Deluna (she brings the party!):


Tânia Mara (if you're looking for the VOICE, she's it):


 In fact, this could've been an interesting collaboration.  A lady can only dream...

Or if Jennifer Lopez had gone more the route of this sound:
or 


In the end, this doesn't really put a damper because it's not about music, it's about the GAME!  Stay tuned for more 2014 World Cup postings and get ready for the global event (June 12- July 13)!


No comments:

Post a Comment