Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Travel Retrospect: London

#WCW-  Well for me, this is WORLD Crush Wednesday, as in places I’ve visited or want to visit across the globe.  Travel back with me a few months to late November/early December 2013 when I took my first trip to Europe.  That trip included 3 cities and a principality but for this post, I will reflect on one of my childhood dream cities of London!

 

Why the adoration for London (and England) prior to visiting? Let me count the ways! As a youngster, I always *tried* to emulate the British accent. I thought I sounded pretty good but something tells me not to actually try testing that accent. So there’s that. Additionally, some of my favorite pop artists are from the UK: Sugababes, Craig David, Alesha Dixon, Leona Lewis, Jay Sean, and Jamelia just to name a few. Not to mention my favorite soul acts like Corinne Bailey Rae, Adele, Emeli Sande, Amy Winehouse and the incomparable Sade! If the music weren’t enough, I’ve always admired the diversity within the culture. It’s not all about black and white. The blend is incredible! With my West African roots, I’ll always have an appreciate for the acceptance of so many cultures.   Last, but absolutely not least, football!!! Y’all know I love football (or soccer as it is in the U.S.) and my favorite league is England’s Premier League. While I’m so thankful to have cable access to watch matches, I love that football in England (like so many other countries across the globe) reigns supreme. Like I bet I could strike up a conversation about it just walking around. Do I sound like a fan yet?


Now don’t get me wrong, everything I just mentioned is all good and well, but nothing compares to actually being there. So I had the opportunity to spend about 2 days in London--not nearly as long as I would have wanted (clearly!) but enough for me to finally walk the streets (and ride the tube) and get a taste. So what was my “appetizer” journey like? Read on…

So my European getaway began with an early arrival (and I do mean early) at London’s famed Heathrow Airport. Bleary-eyed as I was, I was finally here! After clearing all the procedural entry tasks inside the airport, I had my first opportunity to buy a train ticket (in GBP or pounds, for my layfolk) to take me into the town. First stop, Paddington Station for a proper English breakfast!






That first day I was extremely jet lagged as I basically did not sleep on that 7.5 hour flight, so the big highlight was lots of tube riding. What’s the tube? Why it is only the cool British way to say the subway or metro rail. The first time I spotted a tube map, I was extremely confused but by the end of my time there, it all made sense. Seriously, it’s really not too bad. Just pay attention and ask for help before entering the system. Because, like any major city in the U.S. (and in Paris as I learned), when it’s rush hour, people have places TO GO. You don’t want to be that person standing around helplessly while people are rushing about, do you? So just study the map and ask ahead of entering and you’ll be fine and in chill mode as I was…



OK, I’m not going to give you a rundown of each step I took because as I said my trip was abbreviated. Here are some highlights (and photos):


Tourist attractions:  River Thames, London Eye, London Pier, London Bridge

 Beautiful River Thames
London Eye

 London Pier ...I love this city!

London Bridge


Harrods: I could have an entire post all about Harrods. My goodness, where do I even begin?  Just a few snippets of winter time at Harrods. 

 
 



Holiday market:

 who doesn't love a carousel?


It's not a winter holiday without Gingerbread!
Yum!

Possibly the largest Wok ever?  P.S. The guy serving was so sweet :-) Hey Poland!




Random sights that made me smile:



 Barclays runs the world!



Into the Underground we go!


Busy streets, bustling buses


Beautiful sunset on a December evening



Now for all the fun I had there is still more on my list. Not complaining because that is what next trips are for! I’m just so thankful for the opportunity to finally have gotten to go to London. There is lots on my wish list including going to a live music concert/show and of course a football match.  Arsenal F.C. baby!  Gunners #1 :-)  

Until we meet again London, stay charming!






No comments:

Post a Comment