Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Ice Cream Everyday: How Sweet It Is!

Tuesday is the day that new music is released in the U.S., so I’ve decided to make this a day that I spotlight some good tunes that I enjoy. It likely won’t be a new release, as I like to enjoy some music for a good while before giving it a grade so to speak. 




The spotlight today is on a relatively new release from my girl Amel Larrieux. I ADORE Amel and musically, she can’t steer me wrong. I’ve been a massive fan since ‘95 and the Groove Theory duo days (90s R&B was some of THE best) and her previous solo albums (Infinite Possibilities, Bravebird, Morning, Lovely Standards) and every other musical release or collaboration she’s been a part of.  She is like musical poetry, singing about the news, the blues, and simply: LIFE.  Her album Infinite Possibilities still remains my soul's "perspective soundtrack" to this day. Fast forward to now and her latest album “Ice Cream Everyday” is out in all formats now and I’d say you definitely should check it out! If you want an album that you can just play all the way through while you’re working, chilling, driving, whatever, this is it!


Lead single “Afraid” is just too cool. Detailing the rush of emotions you feel when you first meet someone and feel that butterflies-i think i’m in love-i see nobody but us- feeling, this song is beautifully crafted whether you are in love, out of love, or in-between. It’s mid-tempo and certainly has that soulful Adult Contemporary vibe. “Wherever you are is wherever I have to be..” I know I’ve definitely felt that feeling before. Ahh, the memories ;-) Check it out here:



 
Also included in my top 5 favorite tracks (it was tough to pick a top 5):
You Don’t See Me (words can not describe how much I love this song!!! Can we say my love life? Ha!)
 
Moment to Reflect (if only we all did that before acting/reacting)
Ur the Shhh
A Million Sapphires
I Do Take (that unconditional love...yes!)
Don't Let Me Down (I know that's 7 songs but technically this was a single before the album release and really how I feel...so listen up gentlemen!)
 
 
Lyrically, I love that Amel just sings about life! Whether it’s love in all it’s forms or experiences that comprise our lives, perspectives, and being, the messages are relatable and truly about life. Amel and her team capture it all so beautifully. Oh and that voice and delivery! So sweet yet powerful and poetic!

Records are hot but Amel herself is simply incredible LIVE! She is such an engaging artist and musician and she fully allows the audience to see her personality, which is so awesomely cool by the way. I’ve had the opportunity to see her live and can definitely attest. It’s a true musically experience. Amel, you’re the truth! She’s on tour now, so if you’ve got the opportunity, definitely check her out! For my DC lovebirds, she will be at The Howard Theater on Friday, February 14 for two shows!

Here’s a throwback photo when I attended a show almost 4 years ago and I got to meet this very beautiful lady. Sidebar: I can’t believe it’s been that long.  Don't laugh at my attire.  Shout out to the early days of my natural hair journey/transitioning phase! 


2010 in VA!  I had a blast and Amel was so kind to take this photo with me :-)
Much love, respect, and blessings to Amel, her family and Team Blisslife!

Get connected with Amel here:
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/amellarrieux
Twitter: @amellarrieux
Team Blisslife on Twitter: Team BlissLife
2013- Ice Cream Every Day
2007- Lovely Standards
2006- Morning

2004- Bravebird

2000- Infinite Possibilities






No comments:

Post a Comment