Friday, February 14, 2014

It's here! Valentine's Day


February 14th. Perhaps one of the most stressful days of the year for some people.  A day that is supposed to symbolize love yet is often met with such derision and hate.  So what’s the deal?!  My theory is that some ladies like this day because they like to feel *extra* special.  The sales industry sides with that theory what with all the flowers, cards, candy, bears, balloons, and romantic date offerings.  Some guys don’t like this day because it seems like a lot of work and it feels more obligatory than romance.  I can understand that point, though I think it’s all in perspective.  My take?  Personally, I don’t mind Valentine’s Day.  Sure, it’s a show-and-tell type of affair but that can work a couple ways.  1) Showing off and telling of all the tokens of love you’ve received or 2) Showing and telling your mate what they mean to you.  I like the latter.  I also don’t think it should just be guys doing everything for the ladies.  Years ago, I actually planned a really nice evening (not in a restaurant) for my ex-bf only to be stood up (hence the word ex).  Quick sidebar: Ladies, if he’s not even calling you on that day as he normally would, please pause.  The signs of cheating are usually there and it starts with “baby” lies and disappearing acts just like that.  Not saying that’s always the case but well, sometimes actions speak louder than words.  You live and you learn!

But I digress!   I think V-Day should be a day of love and affection for the pair of you using all of the “commercialized” tools afforded to you.  If you’re against the restaurant idea (personally, I’m not a fan because it’s often crowded and overly expensive for underwhelming cuisine), than why not have a nice lunch/dinner together at home?  A card speaks a 1,000 words yet is so inexpensive.  I think guys who use the excuse “it’s too commercial” only get a pass if they treat their woman special throughout the year (which they should be, don’t settle for less!).  In fact, I’d rather have a surprise, special day with my mate on March 17th (or any random date) than Feb 14th because of the fact it’s unexpected BUT a card on V-Day is still sweet and really doesn’t require much.  Just the ability to select a card, buy the card and seal an envelope!


As for the whole S.A.D. (Singles Awareness Day) thing, I say bump that! There’s nothing to be sad about.  Live your life as normal.  If you’re single on this day, so what?  Yes, you will see more displays than usual but if I felt bad every time I saw happy couples, I’d be wallowing.  Know that if you go out to a restaurant on Valentine’s Day, there will be more couples than usual. So either skip that scene or go out with your friends instead. Galentines/Palentines come to mind! I can guarantee you might actually be having more fun than some of these couples. Another thing, don’t go dressing in black.  Why should you be toned down?  Rock your favorite beautiful colors.  If red is it, then go for it!  

Happy Valentine’s Day. Happy Friday.  Happy Feb 14th.  Happy normal day.  Whatever today means to you, just be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment