Friday, May 2, 2014

Speaking Up: #BringBackOurGirls

 
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.



As I write, there is a very disturbing and heartbreaking human rights situation taking place in Nigeria. You can Google this story and I've included a few links below. Back in late April (last month), militants stormed a boarding school and abducted over 200 school girls, many of which are still missing today.  There has been much discussion of what their fate is, all of which is devastating.  I can not even begin to imagine the fear, pain, suffering and despair that these young girls are going through and unfortunately, this story is all too common in the world.  It's so easy to turn a blind eye to this issue of trafficking and violence, particularly against women in developing nations.  In fact, when I read the news update on this story, I immediately stopped what I was doing to pray for these young girls and tweet about it. Makes me realize my "problems/stressors" are really quite minuscule.  As global citizens, our biggest power lies in our VOICE and in our ability to raise awareness and advocate for change.  While the situation looks grim, I don't believe that all hope is lost.  Just because these events occur in places thousands of miles away from us does not mean we should not care or show support.  I may not be able to do much but if we can collectively raise awareness to get strategic organizations and media to pay attention, that is power.  I will pray for these girls and for their safe return and reunion to their families.  #BringBackOurGirls



Read more here:
CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/world/africa/nigeria-abducted-girls/
BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27256860  &  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27241941

No comments:

Post a Comment