Monday, March 3, 2014

The Cinderella Story

I am writing this on a snowy, icy morning that has left almost all school districts and governments closed. It's March 3rd, winter, it's time for you to gracefully bow out and allow spring to make her proper entry.  At this point, everyone around here is generally over it!  Log on to Twitter for all the many hashtags (#SNOverit is one of my favorites).  Anyway, knowing that I didn't have to wake up as early for work commute allowed me to watch the 86th Academy Awards (#Oscars2014).  Normally, I don't watch the show, just certain categories because it's typically boring.  With Ellen DeGeneres hosting and knowing that Pharrell would sing my favorite song "Happy", I just had to watch!  Overall, I thought the show was good, albeit long, with lots of wonderful fashion  and heartfelt acceptance speeches.


Gorgeous in Prada!  Lovely Lupita, our Cinderella!


On the subject of heartfelt speeches, what about Lupita Nyong'o?!  Our Academy Award winner for Best Actress is a Supporting Role for her performance in "12 Years a Slave."  She is just class personified.  And while the majority of people show her love (which I love!), I'm sure she has the usual detractors who think her rise is all "hype".  Well, as you can already tell, I totally disagree! People often think that a Cinderella story is a fairy tale but if you recall, Cinderella went through a lot of turmoil before that chance encounter which transformed her life into a fairytale.  So even though stories have a wonderful ending, there's often a struggle to get to that point.  When I look at my own life, I know that if I were to reach a very high point, the peak if you will, it will NOT be without the struggle.  Rejection, failed attempts, loss of self-esteem at times, you name it!  But all of those hard times will make it that much sweeter.  Lupita's story is so inspiring to me as a whole and I love that she's remained humble, sincere, and graceful.  Her story doesn't end with the Academy Award and all of acclaim, that's just an affirmation of all the work and struggles she faced.  Her talent, perseverance, and pursuit of her dream led to this moment.  So let her shine!  For it is well-deserved!  To quote Lupita's speech "No matter where you are from, your dreams are valid."  That's right!  Circumstance doesn't have to determine your ultimate outcome.  Keep aspiring!

The dapper Mr. McConaughey!

My other favorite heartfelt speech came from Mr. Matthew McConaughey, winner of the Best Actor award for his performance in "Dallas Buyers Club".  Now Matthew was Matthew and it was totally awesome to see.  My highlight from his speech was when he named his 3 things to strive for:

  • Something to look up to
  • Something to come home to
  • Something to chase after

What a great approach!  Everyone should have someone/thing that they draw inspiration from while on a quest.  You also need support, so family, love, and friendship will keep you grounded during the highs and lows.  That's what you should come home to.  Something to chase after, attainable goals and then more attainable goals!  You're not weak to lay roots down.  In fact, that makes you stronger and able to soar higher! I'll definitely be adopting this approach as I live life, go on new adventures, welcome new people and opportunities to my life.    All in all, an inspiring night.  Thank you, Academy!

No comments:

Post a Comment