Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Tunes Tuesday: Fatoumata Diawara



I think I want to make Tuesdays (or at least one Tuesday per month), a day where I feature artists that I enjoy. This won’t always be new releases but rather TK’s picks. I’ve always been a fan of world music and the many languages and genres performed. Sure, I grew up listening to plenty of West African music and the extensive catalog of Bob Marley as a child (thanks Dad!) but growing up, my favorites were 90s R&B, 90s and early 2000s pop, and dance music. World music for me at a younger age included likes of UK artists Jamelia, Sugababes, and Mis-Teeq/Alesha Dixon with a little bit of Shakira, Marc Anthony or Enrique Iglesias’ Spanish versions of their English language hit singles. Hey, I was still a kid so my concept of world music other than Bob Marley was slightly skewed!



Anyway, my music appreciation first began to change when I got into more Latin artists (pop, rock, etc) such as David Bisbal (LOVE!), Juanes, and Camila. Studying Spanish may have helped with that. Then came the discovery of Putumayo music collections, I started getting into more of these wonderful sounds. Of the many collections, my family and I collectively own, some of my favorites include Latin Reggae, Music from the Chocolate Lands, and Women of Africa.


Speaking of women of Africa, I would like to spotlight a beautiful artist I became familiar with last year. Her name is Fatoumata Diawara. Fatou, as her debut album is called, was born in Cote D'Ivoire to Malian parents . She later moved to France where she had a career as an actress . Music, however, was a passion of hers and led to several performances and the release of her debut album, Fatou in 2011. I came across her while browsing albums in a digital musical store and after previewing the first 2 sound clips, I immediately had to purchase.

Official video of single "Bissa":




I’d describe Fatoumata’s musical style as very soulful and jazzy with rich, soothing vocals and her performance style as very engaging and dynamic. She is not only a great singer but a beautiful guitarist backed by a very talented band. The musicianship of these performances is outstanding. Energetic without being unfocused or over the top, the performances are expressive. Besides her voice and music, she uses her body to express the lyrics and feelings behind the songs. Her dancing is beautiful and a welcome layer of interpretation. It really makes me wish I were in Europe (or have the ability to jet set) to see her perform live. That’s one of my dreams--to see some of my favorite artists in another country. So curious to experience the energy of another culture, another crowd enjoying one of their favorite artists. But in the absence of those resources or a DVD for sale, I am thankful for YouTube! Through YouTube, I’ve had the opportunity to view not only music videos but also to watch her live performances. To say I’ve been mesmerized is an understatement. Forget that there’s a language barrier, rhythm, emotion, and passion are universal!


Here’s a clip of Fatoumata describing her music (interview in English + performance of Clandestin):



Below are a few live performance clips and music videos because I could sing her praises to the moon but you should simply watch!  Seriously, search for her on YouTube, you will NOT be disappointed!
Live performance of "Kelé " in Amsterdam (stunning!)

Alama- live performance


Bakanoba- official music video

NPR feature:


Support Fatoumata Diawara and purchase her album “Fatou”.  Available in the U.S on iTunes and Amazon.




I’m a fan and look forward to her next projects and tour dates! Somebody release a DVD! I’ve visited London and cities in France and would love to return as well, especially if it includes a performance by the incredible Fatoumata Diawara!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FatouMusic
Twitter: @FatouDiawara


One love!

No comments:

Post a Comment