Tuesday, July 20, 2010

High heels, high price


High heels are among us. They have long been the symbols of power, confidence, and fashion. You can not open a catalogue without seeing the cutest outfit paired with a high (uncomfortable looking) heel. However, for all of these fleeting things we are given, much is given up. That’s right ladies; high heels do a lot of things for us including damage the muscles in our legs.

Now first let me begin by saying that I am NOT against high heels. I simply like to mix my style up between flats and heels. I am kind of tall without heels so I am more of a cute flats/low heel girl. When I do incorporate high heels, it’s to 1) embrace my inner glamazon by going all out on my look or 2) to stand above the haters/detractors/everybody else. I won’t lie, it does feel good to tower sometimes—except when it’s with a guy that I’m interested in (though it kind of works when it’s a guy I’m not feeling as much). But I’ve digressed. The whole point is that the constant wearing of high heels really does lead to a wear and tear of the muscles. When I think about the reasons I don’t wear high heels, the answer always has to do with pain and/or discomfort.

Here are the facts:
Constant and prolonged wearing of high heels (looking at you diva fashionistas) weaken the calf muscles and alter the shape of the Achilles tendon. Have you ever heard of an athlete being sidelined because of an injury to their Achilles? It is a major injury and while wearing high heels may not debilitate you for months, it can lead to problems down the line. The changes in your legs affect the ankle's natural resting position. Additionally, ill-fitting shoes can also lead to foot conditions such as corns and bunions, which will make wearing ANY shoe uncomfortable.

So what does this mean? Nobody is saying that you can't ever wear high heels. As with everything in life, moderation is the key. Don’t walk up all those flights of stairs or across town in your heels, wear cute flats or sneakers. Don't wear those power heels every day, switch it up with flats, etc. Whatever you do, do NOT even think of exercising in heels (you just look ridiculous--yes even you Beyonce). Some of you may have visions of white sneakers and high-top socks but this is 2010. Shoe companies are with it and design really sporty (and foot-healthy) shoes. Check out footsmart.com or aerosoles.com to see what I’m talking about (as well as some *haute* flats).

The research is out there--be informed:


Check out this hilarious (but true) song by Keri Hilson called "High Heels" set to a pretty cool SIMS video:

No comments:

Post a Comment