Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A day without...technology?!

World, we have a problem. A large majority of your population is seriously addicted to technology. This likely includes you, reader. Now before you get all defensive, let’s consider what our lives are like without the cell phone, iPod, or television. If you live in the East Coast (particularly in the Mid-Atlantic), you probably experienced what has been affectionately referred to as “snowpocalypse (or snowmaggedon) 2010” in which some people lost power. An extended period sans power equals no television, no computer (laptop battery can only run so long), and no cell phone (same reason as laptops). Now, you may be thinking “I don’t even use ______” but to say you can manage without any of these things is pretty unbelievable (and unbrearable for most).

I’ll perform a self-examination. On a daily basis (discounting work because I have to use technology there), I use my cell phone sparingly, watch a limited amount of television (though I will admit it’s often powered on whether I’m watching closely or not), and use my computer heavily every other day. I probably don’t sound too technology-dependent but I’ll continue. When I left my cell phone at home one day, I felt completely naked as if I’d left my an article of clothing at home. There’s something just reassuring about having a cell phone within reach to call or text someone (or check facebook and twitter messages). The same thing goes with my iPod. Don’t get me started on life without my iPod. It’s obviously most critical when I’m at the gym and occasionally riding public transportation (can be a good way to tune out those irritants we all hate). When I find myself at the gym without it, ugh, morale goes down immediately. As for the train, no ipod is mitigated by having a book. Neither? I'm praying for a peaceful ride. The times I’ve lost electricity, I read books and magazines, worked out, chatted with family/friends, and played games—but after a day, this cycle gets boring quickly.

Maybe it’s not an addiction, so much as it is a control issue. When we are accustomed to life a certain way and it’s just unexpectedly disrupted, it can be a really disorienting feeling. I certainly won’t DIE without the items listed above and there are times I actually don’t want to use some of those tech items. However, it’s something about not being able to access something freely that becomes an issue. The Today show featured a family that decided to turn everything off for a day, here’s there story: http://community.todaymoms.com/_news/2010/07/20/4717197-family-gives-up-computer-tv-and-texting-could-your-family-do-it

What do you think? Could you do it for a day? For longer? It’s not as easy as it sounds but are you willing to try? Leave a comment below and hit me up on twitter (@ ImSoResilient) to let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment